Tuesday, December 17, 2019

A solid movie year

In no particular order, 2019 gave us:
  • Yesterday
  • Ford v. Ferrari
  • The Peanut Butter Falcon
  • Rocketman
  • Richard Jewell
  • Harriet
  • Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice
  • Unplanned
  • Knives Out
In my blog, that's a movie year to be thankful for.

If I were giving out the Academy Awards, I'd tap Paul Walter Hauser (Richard Jewell) for Best Actor, and Cynthia Erivo (Harriet) for Best Actress. As for Best Picture, I'm thinking either Ford v. Ferrari or The Peanut Butter Falcon, even though both films have no shot at that award among the glitterati who do the actual voting about such things.

I'm also sympathetic to the idea that when you get right down to it, art should not be competitive, because it is not sport. If you think that one through, I suppose it means that art can ultimately be "good" or "bad," but not "best". Lists are made for convenience, but it's silly to compare Casablanca (for example) with The Searchers -- both films sit firmly in the "good" column.

No comments:

Post a Comment